Symbolism in Painting Baxandall (Painting and Experience in 15th C Italy) talks about some but says there are loads of different things and some dependent on context so pretty hard to read!
How much white can be seen in the eye
- "people with long eyes are malicious and immoral"
- If the white of the eye is widely extended and visible all round shows shamelessness
- if it is concealed not visible at all, shows unreliabilty (Page 58)
- AFFIRMATION - lift hand gently, back of hand faces the beholder
- DEMONSTRATION - thing that has been seen noted by opening palm in its direction
- GRIEF - pressing breast with palm
- SHAME - covering eyes with fingers
- INVITATION/WELCOME - hand up, palm forward, fingers slightly bent down
- CHASTE WOMAN - hands clasped together at girdle height
- WANTON WOMAN - hands all over the place - poss double invitation!